Contraindications for an MRI exam include:
- Cardio-defibrillator (ICD)
- Permanently implanted neurostimulators, insulin pumps, etc.
- Metal splinters in the eye
- Metal splinters in the body near organs, vessels, or nerves
- Dental prosthetics with magnetic mounts (most are not magnetic and therefore not problematic)
- Bypass vessels with magnetic mounts (most are not magnetic and therefore not problematic)
Please clarify with your doctor whether you have any contraindications to the administration of MRI contrast agents. For a heart exam (cardio MRI, cardio CT) no coffee should be drunk on the day of the exam. Do not take any erectile dysfunction medications (such as Viagra) for at least 24 hours before a cardio MRI or cardio CT exam.
It may be necessary to consult with the operator for:
- Cochlear implants
- Aneurysm clips in the head